Saturday, October 24, 2009

Hutong, Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square

Today we had another long day of touring.  What we saw were some of the most amazing things we've ever seen.  The simplicity of the Hutongs, an area of Beijing that represents the "old" China... the forgotten past.  Where the streets are narrow, and life is quiet - almost peaceful.  Then the stark contrast of the Forbidden City... where extravagance reigns.  The home built for the Emporer, on display - opulent, overkill, almost ridiculous in size and design.  Complete the tour with Tiananmen Square... vast, open, empty space stretching in all directions.  Mao's vision in the tangible world.  The power of the state ruling over the insignificance of the people - Pure China.  All unforgettable... but what lies ahead for us tomorrow will be the most unforgettable moment of our entire trip - our meeting with Raina.  This is a moment we've dreamed of for so long... just in time to shatter Mao's dream.  Raina is not insignificant... we came here from the other side of the world for this one very important girl.  An orphan no longer... 

4 comments:

Eileen said...

I will be thinking about you all night at work tonight!

Sarah said...

You are in my prayers as you meet sweet Raina tomorrow. My eyes fill with tears just reading your post, an orphan no longer...indeed! Whether she cries or is quiet or smiles at you right away, she is yours. Can't wait to see pictures!

Melissa said...

So excited that you'll be getting your sweet gift from God soon. You guys be so close to our precious little one makes me feel so happy. Love your blog, it makes me feel like we're getting our little one with ya. Praying for an easy transition and bonding.

Waiting for Isabella,

Melissa

Jennifer Mangnall said...

I can't wait to see the next round of pictures and hear how your first meeting went. I have been praying for all of you. I am so excited for you.

I agree with the post from Sarah, when I read the comment about an orphan no longer, I had tears running down my face. I can't wait for the next "installment" in your blog.